Department heads, and their designees for authorizing travel and approving reimbursements, have the following responsibilities:
- Be familiar with state and University travel policies and regulations (BPPM Travel 95.00).
- Ensure that the travel plan is the most economical and advantageous to the state.
- Establish an effective system for management and control over travel related costs.
- Understand the funding source and any associated restrictions on allowable expenses.
- Ensure travelers are acquiring prior authorization for all travel, with written documentation on file as required per BPPM 95.05. Individual departments may require written approval for all travel.
- Ensure travelers are not treated differently under like travel circumstances.
- Ensure that any travel costs incurred are:
- Directly work related,
- Obtained at the most economical price, and
- Both critical and necessary for state business.
- Exercise prudent judgment in authorizing and approving travel related costs.
All persons in travel status on official WSU business have the following responsibilities:
- Be familiar with state and University travel policies and regulations (BPPM Travel 95.00). Check with your department for additional travel requirements.
- Exercise prudent judgement in making travel arrangements and incurring travel related expenses. Excess costs, circuitous routes, delays, or luxury accommodations unnecessary or unjustified in the performance of official state business travel are not acceptable.
- Personally pay for any additional expenses incurred for personal preference or convenience.
- Arrange to return as promptly as possible to either the official station or official residence once business is completed.
- Obtain prior authorization as required per BPPM 95.05.
- Individual departments may require written approval for all travel.
- Provide receipts and documentation timely upon returning from the trip and ensure a Travel Expense Voucher is prepared.