Spend Authorization/Prior Approval
Prior approval is required for ALL official University travel outside of the State of Washington in order for the traveler to be eligible:
- To travel on behalf of WSU, and
- To receive reimbursement for authorized and allowable expenses (see BPPM 95.05).
For employees this also is required in order to be covered under WSU’s worker’s compensation insurance while in travel status
Type of Approval
Employee in-state travel allows for verbal approval except when:
- Requesting an exception to policy, and/or
- Travel is partially or fully funded by a third party.
All other travel requires written approval done via the Spend Authorization via Workday, or a department’s substitute form.
Note: Departments may have more strict policies and require written approval for all travel.
The Spend Authorization, or the department’s substitute form, has to include:
- The traveler;
- Business purpose of the trip;
- Detailed itinerary, with dates of when the traveler will be in various locations;
- Any exceptions to policy;
- Signature of official authorized to approve travel; and
- Detailed budget of authorized expenses, including:
- Program/Project/Gift/Grant Number
- Cost Center/Fund/Region