The WSU Travel Charge Card is a personal liability Visa card issued to WSU employees to be used for payment of expenses incurred while traveling on behalf of WSU. The benefit of the Travel Charge Card is that the employee does not have to use personal resources to pay for business trip expenses. Upon return a TEV still has to be completed and the balance on the card paid in full with the reimbursement from WSU.
The individual account can be used only for Washington State University business related travel expenses. Examples include meals, hotels, car rentals, taxis and so forth.
Note: The preferred method for purchasing airfare is with a Departmental CTA.
The preferred method for purchasing conference registrations is with the Purchasing Card.
Prohibited purchases include any personal items and any non-official travel related expenditures. Rule of thumb is that if the traveler will not be getting directly reimbursed for the expenses via a TEV, then the Travel Charge Card is not an acceptable form of payment.
Applying for a Card
Applicants must be employees and expected to take at least one business trip per year.
- Print a copy of the WSU Travel Charge Card Application Form
- Print a copy of the WSU Travel Charge Card Cardholder’s Agreement
- Complete and sign both forms (all requested information required)
- Have application approved and signed by applicant’s supervisor.
- Mail or fax the completed application and signed agreement to the Travel Services Department at Zip 1025 or scan and email to the individual responsible for Travel Card & CTA Processing.
The cardholder will be contacted by the Travel Office when the card arrives and is ready for pickup. Please allow 2 to 3 weeks processing once Travel receives the application.
- Ensure compliance with WSU Business Policies and Procedures and the Cardholder Agreement.
- The account is not a revolving credit account, so the individual cardholder is personally responsible for paying the full balance on every statement—partial payments are prohibited.
- Timely processing of the TEV to ensure reimbursement is received in time to pay off the statement.
- Notify Travel Services when separating from the University, or have a change of address. It is not linked to the WSU systems and needs to be updated in a separate request to Travel Services.
- Keep the card in a secure location and report lost or stolen cards should this occur. Call VISA at 1-800-270-7760, or notify Travel Services if during standard business hours.
Benefits and Features
- The card is accepted at more than 16 million merchants worldwide.
- Eliminates the need to use personal resources for business travel.
- $500,000 common carrier insurance.
- $1250 lost or stolen luggage insurance.
- $1000 hotel/motel theft insurance.
- Collision damage insurance up to the full value of the rental car.
- No annual fee.
- If reimbursement is occasionally delayed, up to 60 days to pay the account balance in full without delinquency or interest charges.
For more information please see the the Visa Benefit Guide.